While fiberglass and Gunite are the two most popular types of pools, many homeowners still gravitate to vinyl liner pools. Take Overland Park, KS, residents, for instance. With highly diverse neighborhoods, it is common to see all three pool types. If you are interested in a vinyl-lined swimming pool for you and your family, start by looking at the advantages and disadvantages so that you can make a well-informed decision. Please note that this article references an inground pool lined with vinyl as opposed to an aboveground pool with a vinyl liner.
- The vinyl is assembled as modular panels, which are available in a range of straight and radius segments. Because of that, there are no limitations to size and shape. In addition, the pool can be built for Overland Park, KS, homeowners with tight access into the backyard space.
- Thanks to advances in technology, vinyl liner pools can last up to 10 years, sometimes longer.
- Since the liner is vacuumed into place, the fit and finish look exactly like a coating of paint.
- The vinyl comes in a wide selection of patterns.
- You can choose a thicker vinyl, which is stronger and more durable, along with vinyl that has UV protection.
- If the vinyl rips or tears, it can be patched quickly, easily, and effectively, without any visible sign of repair.
- This type of pool is constructed on-site. Therefore, the builder can configure the bottom and customize the depth according to the preference of Overland Park, KS, homeowners.
- Compared to fiberglass swimming pools, which have a maximum width of 16 feet due to wide load permits and proper shipping, vinyl liner pools have widths from 16 to 22 feet.
- Although vinyl liner pools can easily last up to 10 years, be prepared to replace the liner several times.
- Accidental chemical spills or using a large volume of chemicals can damage the liner within just a matter of minutes.
- Around the eight-year mark, the vinyl typically starts to fade.
- Any organic debris left inside of the pool for an extended period will cause staining and discoloration, while anything with metal will produce rust stains within just 24 hours. Overland Park, KS, homeowners also need to keep anything sharp or pointed out of the pool.
- If the chemistry is not maintained at the correct level, vinyl liner pools become slippery.
- Because the vinyl is more porous than other materials, it harbors algae easier.
- Unless properly installed, the liner can wrinkle.